Alp Altiner Talks About Fine Art and The Film Industry

Alp Allen Giovanni Altiner is a conceptual artist, writer, producer, director, musician and Visual FX Art Director in the Feature Film Industry. His colors and paintings have helped shape some of your favorite films.

He was the lead concept artist on the Immortals (2011), matte painter for Superman Returns and matte painter and visual effects artist for X-Men: The Last Stand (2006).

Raised by artistic parents he grew to be an artist on his own.

He once said, "My dad got me an issue of ‘Spiderman’ when I was around eleven. That’s when things really changed and I knew I wanted to make a living as an artist some day. Their support helped me tremendously, and I’ve never stopped drawing or painting ever since."


Q: How did you decide to become a concept illustrator versus other types of art?
I've actually always had interest in a wide variety of art jobs and did various work in many different related fields. I carefully studied the industry and successful artists in the industry back then, trying to understand what could be consistent work for me in this business.

Q: How did you get the job working on Superman Returns (2006) and what was it like?
I was offered the position by a well established VFX Studio in Los Angeles called Rhythm and Hues as they were in need of artists that were fast very experienced.

Q: What was your most surprising inspiration for X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) art?
All the comic books that I have been reading over the years, my inspiration is always comic books as the most wonderful cinematic scenes come from storyboard artists and the pages of sequential comic book art.



Q: Your use of color is striking. How do you choose colors to give the feel you're looking for?
Over the years I've started creating my own color pallets and swatches in Photoshop while carefully studying master painters of the late 1800's and 1900's for overall color and the way the compliment each other.

I've trained under living legend Matte painter Syd Dutton who was Albert Whitlock's Student and most of my knowledge for mood and feel comes from their old painting techniques that is like a secret that has been shared and passed over the years from the master artists. Also what helps me is cinematic lighting and the experience I have earned over the years working in movies and having spend a lot of time on movie sets and was able to see how lighting was done by DP's and cinematographers.

Q: What was the main inspiration behind the Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer concept art you did?
Again mostly comic books and various oil painters and fantasy illustrations from the 60's. I have hundreds of books and believe that regardless of the Internet and google there are many good books out there that are great references that are not available related to science, nature and many other illustrations that i find interesting and inspirational to study and use as elements.

Q: You've done a lot of movie work but you've also done commercial work as well. Do you have a favorite?
Movies are most certainly more fun and awesome to be a part of as you get to work for some brilliant Directors and artists, so I love the collaborative environment, and the freedom and time you have to design
things that become part of the film. Commercials are also unique but more so quickly delivered elements of ideas and concepts that have a shorter life span as movies will be out there for a long time.


Q: Do you prefer digital or traditional art tools?
Digital for sure. I grew up drawing and being around artist parents but the only time I really draw now is when I doodle in my sketchbook.

I have been on the Wacom for many years now and I can draw, paint and even create artwork that has a traditional feel with programs like painter so I will continue digital and most likely start getting back more into traditional art, ink and pen and oil paintings as I get older or retire.

Q: What are some of your hobbies that help you in your professional career?
I am also a musician and been writing music my whole life, so music is what inspires me and the work I do. it helps me relax and take a break from being an artist and enjoy a different skill that is still related as I feel being a big part of movies and the rest of all the entertainment.

Q: Lastly, what can we expect to see from you in the future?
I am always growing and learning. also being and entrepreneurial I like starting business ideas and create communities, so I will continue working as a conceptual designer/futurist in the field of Video Games and moves but also continue working on and building a big portal to share what I know with others on vfxworkshops.com

Thanks Alp! Check out more of his work at www.alpaltiner.com and join VFX WORKSHOPS Virtual Classes at vfxworkshops.com including a free digital comic book board.

He has some great instructional videos too like this one below.

StoryBoards 01 from Alp Allen Giovanni Altiner on Vimeo.

You can read some of my other interviews with other great artists here. Also, check out his book on matte paintings below.



Comments