UPDATED: Steve Jung Shows What 'The Avengers' Helicarrier Almost Looked Like

Update: Steve Jung sent me some comments about his work on the Avengers. 
At the risk of turning this into an all Avengers blog, I couldn't help but share Steve Jung's designs for the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.

Steve Jung (Thor, TRON: Legacy, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen) was specifically mentioned by Nathan Schroeder as a key designer on the Helicarrier and his concept art is all over the Art of Marvel's The Avengers book (review coming soon).

Here's what Jung told me about working on the film The Avengers (2012).
Working on the avengers was one of the coolest experience ever. Being a fan of the comic book it was fun designing things that I fantasized as a kid.  I was surrounded by very talent artist who are all good friends of mine even before the project so it was lots of fun.  Being one of the first [artists] to join the project I got a chance to design many of the important sets.

There is a lot of discussion with the production designer, the director, and myself before deciding on any aspect of design. It's always a group effort and I'm just a part of the big machine.  But at the same time I was pushing for a clean modern utilitarian design for a lot of the sets I was designing.
 Check them out after the jump...



Here's what we said about the designs on his blog.
Some of the initial sketches for the movie The Avengers. I did this in my first week of working on the project and they sort of moved ahead with the first sketch. 

It's fascinating to see how where the VTOL engines could have been. All good, but I think they chose the best one. Here are some more great concept paintings from his site.

Avengers Aftermath
Forest set illustration for mood, props and key frame 


Stark Tower
Early Stark Tower concept art 

 Thor on Chrysler
Concept art for the top of the building set for scale 

See more of Steve Jung's portfolio at stevejung.net and http://jungsketch.blogspot.com/

What do you think of the illustrations? Do you have a favorite design?

Comments

  1. Drawing concept art for films seems like the coolest job ever. I loved the initial scene when the hellicarrier emerged from the water. There's nothing like sitting in the theater seeing that epic carrier and listening in theater surround sound. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, it would be a great job alright. The Helicarrier scene is a theater must.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice concepts! LOVED the movie Helicarrier...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neil, the helicarrier was much better than I ever thought possible

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment