Dan Schaefer Talks About Monstrous Time Contraints Storyboarding 'Grimm''

Grimm started season two this week and I've contacted several people working on the show to share exclusive interviews and designs.
Today I'm sharing the work of storyboard artist Dan Schaefer (Leverage, Gone, James Bond Jr.).

His official site is filmstoryboards.com

Read his interview and check them out after the jump. Click the images to enlarge.


"The experience working on Grimm is usually one of being flexible and fast.  Meeting with the director (just before production or with maybe some lead time) is the first phase." Schaefer said. "I will sit down with and break down the script usually on the fly, creating boards based on what location photos they have as well as actors, props and proposed CG.  Mostly I have little of this and have to do what I can to pre-visualize the scene based on the director's interpretation of the script.  Often times the stunt coordinator, art director, First AD or props person will be involved.  I end up working with many departments, but it usually begins and ends with the director. Sometimes I work over the phone to break down a scene.  It just depends on the situation.  

"The biggest challenge can be pre-referencing locations that don't yet exist or are not found and making the staging work anyway.  I did some work on a scene that was supposed to be filmed in a pool in a basement that was later changed to an entirely new location.  Fortunately, the staging stayed the same and our work was helpful.  
"The time frame is a challenge too.  I usually have hours/minutes to do my work and not days.  Television is a very fast moving schedule and demands that you are focused. My work is very similar on both Leverage (TNT) and Grimm (NBC)."
Thanks for answering Schaefer.
Here's a set of storyboards from Grimm Season 1, Episode 11: "Tarantella "






Official Synopsis:

See more of Dan Schaefer portfolio at filmstoryboards.com

What do you think of the illustrations?
 
@ Copyright 2011 GK Productions, Hazy Mills Productions, Universal TV, Dan Schaefer. All rights reserved. Used with permission
Related Posts

Comments

Post a Comment